Friday, October 22, 2010

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes

So I've been feeling like seasonal cooking lately.  I am not a big fan of pumpkin pie, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy other pumpkin yummies!  I was inspired to make these when Jacen told me out of the blue that he wanted pumpkin muffins.  Keep in mind that he has never had pumpkin muffins in his life, so I'm not sure where he got the idea, but I was game for trying, even if it was a bit random.

For the pumpkin puree in the recipe, canned puree should work, but I made some fresh - I had always wanted to try it, and it was easy and I think tasted so much better!  If you want to make your own puree, take a pumpkin, cut off the top then cut it into quarters.  Cut out the seeds (like you would a butternut squash) and place on a baking sheet.  Stick it in a 350 degree oven for around 45 minutes, or until it is tender.  At this point the skin will peel right off.  Stick the pieces in a food processor and blend until smooth.  You can keep it in your fridge for about a week or so, and in your freezer for much longer (several months at least).  Easy and, oh, so good!

I get this recipe from this site.  She calls them muffins, but I think they are sweet enough (especially with the frosting) to be called cupcakes.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1 heaping cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 egg (or egg replacer equivalent)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup golden raisins (I soak mine in boiling water for 5 minutes to plump them up)

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare your pan with cupcake liners.
  2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in stand mixer.  Cut in butter and blend until fully incorporated.  
  3. In a separate bowl mix together pumpkin, evaporated milk, egg (or egg replacer) and vanilla.  Pour into the flour mixture.  Add raisins and fold together gently until combined.
  4. Pour into cupcake pan - fill each cup about 1/2 full.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then remove and frost.
Frosting:
1/4 cup softened butter
1 oz cream cheese
1/2 lbs powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

  1. Whip together ingredients until well blended.  I actually added a little more vanilla than called for and it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment