Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Frosting

I have to admit, the main reason I wanted to make these was so that I would have a means of shoveling peanut butter cream frosting into my mouth. The cupcakes themselves turned out pretty good, too!


I found the cake recipe here, but I altered it slightly. My 2 year old is allergic to eggs, so instead of using eggs, I used Ener-G Egg Replacer. It worked great! I added more cocoa powder than the original recipe, and the original recipe was for a cake, and I made cupcakes instead. The butter cream I took straight from this site.



Cupcakes

  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tbsp Ener-G Egg Replacer whisked w/ 4 Tbsp water (or use 2 eggs)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare your cupcake pan with liners.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. Pour about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of batter per cupcake.
  3. Bake 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Frosting

  • 1 cup butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter

  1. Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the sugar.
  2. Add the vanilla and cream.
  3. Beat in the peanut butter until creamy.

Frost your cupcakes and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting is my all time favorite cake. I request it every year for my birthday. Good call with the cupcakes. I might have to do that now. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have to make this one. There is a cupcake place in provo called cocoa bean ... it makes a frosting like this and it is heaven

    ReplyDelete